This session is aimed at staff that work with, or oversee others who are dealing with property management on a day to day basis. The session will focus on practical aspects of property management and the importance of the contracts between the parties.
The session will cover the following topics:
- WHAT ARE THE OBLIGATIONS OF THE AGENT?
- What is property management?
- Implied and actual authority – what you can/must do
- What is the agent’s obligation to the tenant?
- WHAT ARE THE LANDLORD AND TENANT OBLIGATIONS AND RIGHTS?
- The landlord’s statutory and contractual obligations
- The tenant’s rights and obligations
- Contractors’ required qualifications and membership
- Float money to pay contractors
- Acting as an agent of necessity
- Landlord using their preferred contractor
- What to consider before instructing a contractor when a tenant calls with a problem
- Instructing contractors – looking at HSE prosecutions of agents
- Keeping track and following work through
- PROPERTY VISITS
- Tenant refusing access
- What the visits are for and what to do and not do before, during, after
- REQUIREMENTS FOR SAFETY AND HABITABLE ACCOMMODATION
- Smoke detectors
- Part P Building Regulations
- S11 Landlord and Tenant Act and Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018