This on-line course is aimed at all staff involved with residential lettings and provides an overview of the legal obligations placed on the agent and the landlord.
The session will cover the following topics:
- THE BASICS OF RESIDENTIAL LETTING
- What is the agent governed by?
- CONTRACTS AND AGREEMENT
- What contracts impact on the agent
- What is the difference between a contract and an agreement?
- What makes a contract a contract?
- COMMON LAW
- How this impacts on the agent
- The law of equity
- Remedies for breach
- CONTRACTS AND THE CONSUMER
- Unfair contracts and the consequences
- The ability for a client to cancel a contract
- LANDLORD’S OBLIGATIONS
- The agent’s role
- Obligations under statute and contract
- Landlord’s obligations to the tenant and agent
- Consents needed to let
- SAFETY REGULATIONS
- Electrical equipment and electrical installations
- Furniture and furnishings
- Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms
- EPC and MINIMUM ENERGY EFFICIENCY
- When the EPC is needed and when it should be given to the applicant/tenant
- Minimum ratings to allow the property to be marketed and let
- Where the EPC information must be displayed