Local Authorities are increasingly using powers given to them under the Housing Act 2004 to introduce both HMO and other types of licensing in their areas. As agents for the landlord you are required to comply with the legislation.
This course will help you to identify and understand the different categories of HMO and explain what to do if you have one. It will relate to individual properties only (the requirements for HMO blocks will be dealt with in our Block Management courses). It will also explain your responsibilities and those of your landlord.
The course will cover the following topics
- A definition of an HMO and the different types of HMO
- The different categories of licensing: mandatory, additional and selective
- The requirements for planning/change of use permission
- Getting a licence
- Managing an HMO – what is involved: the Management Regulations
- Temporary Exemption Orders and Management Orders
- A summary of the minimum amenity standards in HMO’s
Please note that while examples of individual Local Authorities will be used, this course will not be looking in detail at any one Local Authority requirements.